When was the last time someone said, “Hey how is your nervous system today?”
It’s not something we pay attention to very often, but we should. It has a huge effect on our well-being, our mental state, what we perceive – pretty much everything. Our nervous system is responsible for sending all the messages to/from the brain to every part of our body. Imagine how many messages it runs each day. It has a big job!
When our nervous system is overwhelmed, we begin to experience stress, tension – our sympathetic nervous system is engaged. That means our fight/flight response is turned ON and it’s hard to turn OFF. Many people live in this constant state of pressure. It is important to discharge the nervous system and experience states of rest during our waking state (see parasympathetic state).
Rest and relaxation are essential to health.
What negatively effects our nervous system? Lots of things – people who bother us, loud noises, toxins, environmental toxins, lack of rest, stress, busyness.. hopefully this doesn’t sound like your life, but it’s normal to have overages on our nervous system, especially in many of our current lifestyles of computer work, city life & processed food.
It is important to take care of your nervous system. Think of when people say “he got on my last nerve.” Or, he had a “nervous breaktdown.” That’s what happens when the nervous system is overloaded.
Here are some suggestions for balancing your nervous system:
1) Completely unplug – take a vacation or a min 2-3 days off to do nothing.
2) Be aware of your use of electronic devices. Cell phones, PDA’s, facebook, can all negatively affect your nervous system because of their electrical charge and EMF’s.
3) Internally consume castor oil – it draws toxins from the body and serves as a laxative.
4) Learn meditation and/or relaxation. Relaxing in the waking state is essential for health and getting restful sleep. Try yoga nidra.
5) LET GO : of the things that put extra stress and pressure on your being. This includes people, activities, stuff!
6) TAKE TIME – to be in nature. It’s grounding. Being close to the Earth allows us to discharge the extra stress and energy from our nervous system. Put your bare feet on the earth.
7) Take an Epsom Salt Bath – releases all kinds of crazy energy, including other people’s problems and stress that melt away from the nice ionic charge you’re getting in the bath.
8) Take Bach Rescue Remedy – if you feel overwhelm in your day, you can keep a little bottle of this in your purse or bag and consume internally. Safe & natural. Good for kids.
9) Consider a detox/cleanse – internal toxins put alot of undue stress on the nervous system. You will experience how much stress/toxins you have when you begin to let them go through a cleanse.
10) Book a massage – try someone who has experience in both massage and/or energy work or Chinese medicine.
If you have an intuitive feeling that you have overloaded nervous system, it’s time to take a break and take care of yourself. Don’t wait until it’s too late.
What are your nerves telling you?